Montreal City Council has voted in favour of a new bylaw banning pit bulls and other so-called “dangerous breeds” from living within city limits and enforcing strict regulations on those already living in the city.
The list of “dangerous breeds” includes:
- Staffordshire bull terriers.
- American pit bull terriers.
- American Staffordshire terriers.
- Any mix with these breeds.
- Any dog that presents characteristics of one of those breeds.
Those who now own a dog of those breeds and already live in Montreal will have to acquire a special permit in order to keep their pet, by Dec. 31, 2016.
An amendment to the bylaw was made Tuesday , addressing concerns that a pit bull would be automatically euthanized when its owner dies. The changes allow the pit bull’s licence to be transferred to another person who was living at the same address, a direct family member or a spouse.