PTBO Canada posted a really great list that has been getting a lot of traction.
There are a few on the list that I can relate to. I DO love ketchup chips. I definitely know who Jimmy Lightshow is (he made me a necklace one time). And I do apologize a lot.
BUT I grew up in a little place called Pickering, so I only think it’s fair to put together my own list.
51 Signs You’re From Pickering:
1. You know where Mr. Dressup (Ernie Coombs) lived.
2. The best Christmas lights are on Vicki and Oklahoma Drive in the Frenchman’s Bay area.
3. The best was when your friends had birthday parties at National Sports.
4. You have been featured in the Pickering Advertiser, either for winning a dance recital or hockey/ringette/soccer tournament, OR you were the delivery person of the week. OR BOTH!
5. You’ve barfed at Melanie Pringles.
6. You know at least one person who washed dishes at Lone Star.
7. You ate pizza at Classics, Stars, and eventually, Wrap Stars.
8. You believe Stars Pizza invented the dipping sauce looooong before Pizza Pizza was on board.
9. If you went to Pine Ridge (Crime Ridge) your favourite food is cocoa bun.
10. You still don’t know how the hell the public transit system actually works.
11. You’ve traded something in at Rebound Sports.
12. You associate the smell of Certs with pre-teens at the Rec.
13. Your second favourite food is rink fries.
14. Tuesdays used to be for movies and KFC. $5.14 would get you a flick and a one-piece with fries.
15. You have a piercing (and likely an infection) from Hot Nails.
16. You’ve bartered with the guy who works at the jewelry stand Maria’s — and lost.
17. REMEMBER WHEN THERE WAS A FIRE AT MCDONALDS?
18. You know the Riggs.
19. The food court and/or arcade at the PTC was your second home.
20. You had to get your parents to sign off on a form saying the school could give you an iodine pill in case the power plant exploded.
21. When you say you’re from Pickering, people always mention the power plant.
22. Close enough to Toronto, far enough away from Oshawa.
23. You’ve referred to Pickering as the P-Dot.
24. You’ve partied at the gravel pits.
25. When someone says the arena in Pickering, you ask which one?
26. You’ve lost your car in the Go Train parking lot.
27. You’ve been in, or witnessed a fight at the Mansion/Jukebox.
28. You remember when Jukebox was called Aqua Lounge and before that, Four Play. And BEFORE THAT, Mud Hens.
29. You remember that time someone was shot at Mud Hens.
30. You know that “Gandi” is short for Gandatsetiagon, and that Isaac, Anthony, Wilfred, Monica, Elizabeth and Maguerite were all Saints.
31. Sean Avery is a person.
32. You know where to go when someone says “the Oaks.”
33. You know MRC stands for Maple Ridge Crew, and MOB is the Major Oaks Boyzzzzz. Also you know that JELLMA refers to Jenna, Elyse, Lindsay, Leslie, Mary and Anne.
34. You’ve walked the boardwalk by the lake.
35. You tell everyone how much nicer it is by the lake now (you know, besides the power plant).
36. You’ve been to that abandoned house off Dixie with the weird mannequins. But if the cops ask, I don’t know what you’re talking about.
37. You remember when the Independent was Loeb’s.
38. You’ve eaten Golden Griddle at 3AM.
39. You remember when the Makimono Sushi restaurant was actually a bitchin’ Pizza Hut.
40. You had an Xtreme Fitness membership, unless you knew someone who worked for the City, then you had one at the Rec Centre.
41. You know that the best parking at the mall is by The Bay.
42. Your tap water is cloudy and sometimes it smells funky.
43. You got the day off school and then watched JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE dance around the Pickering Town Centre back in his N’Sync days.
44. You bought all your video games and socks at the Flea Market.
45. You remember when the Flea Market was old. AND WHERE WAL-MART USED TO BE.
46. You know where every single Tim Horton’s is. Because there are 2838201.
47. You’ve been to at least one fundraiser at the West Shore Community Centre.
48. If you went to St. Marys you know how to rock a kilt.
49. You know that Baggins Street is straight out of a JRR Tolkien novel. And there’s an entire neighbourhood with streets named after Gordon Lightfoot songs.
50. There’s also a dump.
51. You’ve always secretly known that you’re a little bit different than most due to spending your most formidable years beside a nuclear plant.